Monday, October 6, 2008

The Convent and Pompeii

Our next stop was a nunnery where we spent the night. The convent was right on a cliff overlooking the Bay of Naples and the rooms were set up like a hostel. I got kicked off the piano by a nun who started playing and got the whole room clapping. I have a picture with her on someone else's camera so I will upload that when I have a copy of it.

Here is a view from the convent.

The water was very blue.
Heidi and I and our Honeymoon shot.


The next day we visited Pompeii. It started out a very nice day, but eventually rained which created an entirely different atmosphere. Pompeii was a very depressing place in the rain.


The streets of Pompeii.
A lizard tail and foot.
The small amphitheater. This use to have a roof on it.

Fresco in the house of mystery. The house was called this because it was a huge villa on the out-skirt of the town and had pagan symbols all over it.
These are casts of people who were found preserved my the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius which buried the town and the people of Pompeii. This was in the house of the fugitives. 
The large arena. On the completely opposite end of Pompeii, a good half an hour away from the entrance. As you can see it is about to rain in the picture. Which we had to run back to the entrance while it was pouring. I got soaked and had to change before I got on the train to our hostel in Sorento, which will be my next post.

No comments: